xSEL Labs' Commitment to Privacy
This Privacy Notice explains how information about you is collected, used, and shared by xSEL Labs (“xSEL Labs“). This Privacy Notice applies to information we collect when you use our website and other online products and services (collectively, the “Services“). The Services allow students of various grades (collectively, “Students”) to access educational assessments, materials, and/or resources and allow schools, school districts, and/or research partners to administer and evaluate education-related assessments and testing (“Administrators”).
We will only use your Personal Information we collect through the Services in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice. If you do not agree with the collection, use, and/or sharing of your information by xSEL Labs as described in this Privacy Notice or any updates to it, you should not use or access the Services. Please note this Privacy Notice only governs xSEL Labs’ activities concerning your information (including Personal Information). Your Administrators may have different policies and agreements with you with respect to your information it collects, stores, uses, or processes. Please refer to those policies and agreements for any questions regarding your Administrator’s collection and use of your information.
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of the policy and, in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification). We encourage you to review the Privacy Notice whenever you access the Services or otherwise interact with us to stay informed about our information practices and the ways you can help protect your privacy.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us. We collect, store, and/or process information you provide directly to us. For example, if you are an Administrator, you may submit names of teachers, names of students, student identification numbers, student grade level, student birthday, and/or student language.
Account or Contact Information. We collect information when you create an account, fill out a form, or otherwise communicate with us (e.g., through email). The types of information we collect may include your name, e-mail address, subject, and message content.
As used in this Privacy Notice, “Personal Information” is any information that identifies an individual, such as (but not limited to) an individual’s name, email address, postal address. Any information that does not, on its own, identify an individual person is considered and treated as non-personal information.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services. When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, and operating system and version.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, see what articles you have read on our Services, track log-in times, and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
- Information We Collect From Other Sources. We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with the information we collect through our Services.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, evaluate, maintain, and improve our Services;
- Send you notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions, and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, or events offered by xSEL Labs and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of xSEL Labs and others;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content, or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service;
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
We may share information about you as follows or as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice. We will not, however, share or disclose your Personal Information to any third parties without your express prior permission, except as specifically identified below.
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf (this includes third-party hosting services who store and process your Personal Information for us);
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process (which may include your Personal Information);
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of xSEL Labs or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company;
- Between and among xSEL Labs and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
The time periods for which we retain your personal information will depend on the purposes for which we use it. We will retain your Personal Information for so long as is necessary to provide the Services, and we may also continue to store your personal information to allow us to resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, comply with legal obligations and/or for other legally permissible purposes consistent with this Privacy Notice, unless applicable law requires we either dispose of it or keep it longer.
xSEL Labs takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Transfer of Information to the U.S. and Other Countries
xSEL Labs is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, where you may not have the same rights and protections as you do under local law.
Account Information. You may update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to deactivate your account, please email us at email@example.com, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from xSEL Labs by following the instructions in those emails or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Information of Children
We do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If any information from children under the age of 13 is used in connection with the Services, the Administrator providing or using the Services relating to such information is solely and exclusively responsible for obtaining all consents and permissions from parents or guardians of such children. If you believe we have any information from or about anyone under the age of 13 without the required consents or permissions, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective Date: August 21, 2017
Last Updated Date: August 21, 2017